Fast Facts: The Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational
July 26th and 27th
The Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational represents the vision of two-time ASP world longboarding champion Joel Tudor to create an innovative surf series that showcases progressive style, creativity and craftsmanship both in and out of the water. Bringing the world’s best longboarders from around the globe to iconic surf destinations, the Duct Tape contest creates a unique festival atmosphere for today’s most progressive longboarding icons.
Landing in Huntington Beach for the first time in the series, the Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational presented by Pacifico makes its debut at the US Open this year as part of the weeklong celebration of action sports, art and music.
The invite-only competition is set to host 16 of the most progressive longboarders in the world including artistic icons Alex Knost and Tyler Warren along with international longboarding specialists Ryan Burch and Harrison Roach. Featuring a strict 16-man heat format and requiring single-fin, leashless logs, the Duct Tape contest awards competitors for their precision, form and style, exhibiting the unique innovations of longboarding aesthetic by the most stylish longboarders to date.
Introduced in 2010 at the East Coast Surfing Championships in Virginia Beach, the Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Invitational has made stops at internationally renowned surf locales including legendary Ditch Plains in Montauk, NY, Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz, La Cote Des Basques in Biarritz, France, Surfrider Beach in Malibu, CA, Playa Salinas in Spain, Noosa Heads in Queensland, Australia and many more to come.
Fast Facts: ASP Surfing
Men’s ASP PRIME Event
- Winner receives US$100,000 - 6,500pts
- The ASP PRIME Events serve as a springboard to the elite ASP Men’s World Championship Tour.
- A surfer’s best 8 results count towards their qualification for the ASP Men’s World Championship tour.
Women’s ASP WCT
- Winner receives US$15,000 - 10,000pts
- A surfer’s best 5 results count towards their qualification for the ASP Women’s World Tour.
Pro Junior Men’s 4-star (July 20 - July 27)
- Winner Receives US$4,500 - 1,000pts
Pro Junior Women’s 4-star (July 21 - July 27)
- Winner Receives US$1,800 - 1,000pts
Judges analyze the following major elements when scoring waves:
- Commitment and degree of difficulty
- Innovative and progressive maneuvers
- Combination of major maneuvers
- Variety of maneuvers
- Speed, power and flow
- The emphasis on certain elements is contingent upon location and conditions on the day, as well as changing conditions during the day.
[0.0 – 1.9: Poor] [2.0 – 3.9: Fair] [4.0 – 5.9: Average] [6.0 – 7.9: Good] [8.0 – 10.0: Excellent]